Job Opportunity Details
Director of Safe Environment
Hiring Location: Safe Environment/Pastoral Center - Pastoral Center
Address: 3725 Blackburn St., Dallas, TX 75219 (Map)
Job Type: Full Time
Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Weekends/OT Required: Rarely
Education Required: Masters Degree (Preferred)
Catholic Required: Yes
Bilingual Required: No
General Summary of the Position
Manages and directs the Diocesan Safe Environment Program and is the Victims Assistance Coordinator. Receives complaints and directly responds to them. Assist with interviews and follow-up interviews. Member of the Review Board. Chairs the Safe Environment Commission, coordinates the safe environment program with the parish safe environment directors in all parishes, schools and Diocesan entities as well as confirms compliance of the non-parish-based groups. Chairs and plans the quarterly meeting of the safe environment directors. Responsible for implementing and maintaining compliance with the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People. This is done in a professional and ethical manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Position
• Develops and implements approved training curriculum, materials and resources for Parishes and School.
• Develops and manages budget for the Safe Environment Office.
• Reviews, proposes changes and implements the Safe Environment policy.
• Reviews and recommends changes to Sexual Misconduct Policy.
• Responsible for ensuring every complaint of sexual misconduct involving minors is reported to Family and Protective Services as well as law enforcement.
• Directs the database maintenance for all safety records for clergy, employees and volunteers, including background checks, rechecks, training, applications, acknowledge forms, computer forms, references and interviews.
• Works with all parish safe environment directors to ensure training of children.
• Works with the non-parish-based groups to ensure criminal background checks, rechecks and training.
• Establishes liaison with the Diocesan Schools Office and Office of Ministries to coordinate efforts on Safe Environment issues for Diocesan schools and religious education programs.
• Manages the annual National Bishop’s Charter audit process, including gathering of requested data and other information.
• Manages the Diocesan Safe Environment Program compliance audit process.
• Serves as a hotline respondent for Safe Environment and Abuse.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Comprehensive knowledge of the Church and the teachings of the church and the ability to apply those teachings in dealing with problems.
• Ability to train and teach others.
• Commitment to confidentiality.
• Strong verbal and written skills.
• Ability to work closely with others.
• Relevant supervisory and administration skills and experience.
• A commitment to the program.
• Previous experience coordinating a Safe Environment Program at a local entity.
Education and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in Education, Psychology, Counseling, Social Work
• Familiarity with the structure of the Catholic Church
• Familiar with Civil and/or Canon Law
• Willingness to be available by cell phone, email at all times.
Physical Requirements Specific to the Job:
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities of the position may be changed at the sole discretion of the Diocese of Dallas – Pastoral Center.
The Diocese of Dallas – Pastoral Center reserves the right to modify this job description without notice to the employee. This job description is not a contract and does not alter the employee’s at-will employment status.
Name and Title: Lana Kauffman, Recruitment
How to submit resume: Email
Approved - No