Job Opportunity Details
Hiring Location: Catholic Social Ministry - Pastoral Center
Address: 3725 Blackburn St., Dallas, TX 75232 (Map)
Job Type: Full Time
Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Weekends/OT Required: Occasionally
Education Required: Bachelors Degree (Preferred)
Catholic Required: Yes
Bilingual Required: Yes
The Catholic Hospital Chaplain is to meet the specific sacramental and doctrinal needs as related to a patient’s religious tradition and to provide a Catholic presence as a member of an ecumenical hospital team. The Catholic Chaplain is to be a pastoral support to the patient and the patient’s family. The Chaplain is to interact with the medical staff and bring clarity to the Catholic Ethical and Religious Directives in support to the desires of the Catholic patient.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Position
• The core of the chaplain’s ministry is being a compassionate, pastoral presence to those who are suffering and to those who serve as caregivers, such as family and staff.
• Chaplains hear an incredible array of life stories in their daily ministries.
• Chaplains assess the spiritual care a patient might need.
• Provides spiritual care programs and services, facilitates Catholic ethical decision-making.
• Provides the Sacramental needs and works with other leaders to cultivate a culture of spirituality within the organization which he or she serves.
• The Chaplain provides pastoral care and counseling to patients and their families (e.g. before and after surgery), care of terminally ill patients, coping with difficult situations personal or professional, or thinking through ethical questions.
• The Chaplain facilitates the ministry of community clergy to their hospitalized parishioners by orienting them to the Hospital, clarifying Hospital policies and procedures, and jointly planning the pastoral care for their patient/family.
• The Chaplain conducts workshop services and provides sacramental ministry as appropriate in the local parishes for volunteers that serve in the hospital.
• Other duties as assigned.
DO NOT REMOVE
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities of the position may be changed at the sole discretion of the Diocese of Dallas – Pastoral Center.
The Diocese of Dallas – Pastoral Center reserves the right to modify this job description without notice to the employee. This job description is not a contract and does not alter the employee’s at-will employment status.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• The Hospital Chaplain must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide spiritual care appropriate to the spiritual and cultural traditions of the patient and family served.
• The chaplain must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of spiritual growth and development
• Possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s spiritual status, and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each individuals’ requirements relative to his/her cultural and Catholic spiritual tradition and to provide the spiritual care needed.
• A Chaplain must be aware of personal boundaries and be an active listener.
Education and Experience:
• The Chaplain must be a Catholic in good standing with the Church and be willing to complete or have completed four units of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE).
• A Bachelor’s Degree or Ordination in the Catholic Church is preferred.
• The Chaplain must have a good understanding of Family System Theory.
• The Hospital Chaplain must be self-motivated and work well with medical staff and clergy of other faiths.
Physical Requirements Specific to the Job:
Hospital Chaplain Detailed Job Description
Name and Title: Erika Hernandez- Talent Acquisition Specialist
How to submit resume: Email
Approved - Yes